Tableau Hyper Connector for Data Prep¶
User Persona: Data Prep User, Data Prep Admin, or Data Source Admin
This document covers all configuration fields available during connector setup. Some fields may have already been filled out by your Administrator at an earlier step of configuration and may not be visible to you. For more information on Data Prep's connector framework, see Data Prep Connector setup. Also, your Admin may have named this connector something else in the list of Data Sources.
Configuring Data Prep¶
This connector allows you to connect to Tableau as an export destination. The following fields are used to define the connection parameters.
- Name: Name of the data source as it will appear to users in the UI.
- Description: Description of the data source as it will appear to users in the UI.
You can connect Data Prep to multiple Tableau accounts. Using a descriptive name can be a big help to users in identifying the appropriate data source. If you are a Data Prep SaaS customer, inform Data Prep DevOps how you would like this set.
- Tableau Server URL: An http or https URL where the Tableau Server is running. Include port if necessary. For Tableau Online, the URL must contain the pod name, such as 10az, 10ay, or us-east-1.
- Site: Tableau site in which Data Prep will publish a data source.
- Project: Tableau project in which Data Prep will publish a data source.
- Overwrite Tableau Data Source: Overwrite a data source that has the same name, if one already exists.
- Username: Username or email address for authenticating with Tableau.
- Password: Password for authenticating with Tableau.
If you connect to Tableau through a proxy server, these fields define the proxy details.
- Web Proxy: 'None' if no proxy is required or 'Proxied' if the connection to the Tableau REST Endpoint should be made via a proxy server. If a web proxy server is required, the following fields are required to enable a proxied connection.
- Proxy host: The host name or IP address of the web proxy server.
- Proxy port: The port on the proxy server for Data Source.
- Proxy username: The username for the proxy server.
- Proxy password: The password for the proxy server. Leave username & password blank for an unauthenticated proxy connection.
Data Export Information¶
Files are published into the specified Site and Project defined in the Tableau Connector/Datasource configuration.
No directories will be visible in the browsing UI. Click the ‘Select’ button in the export view to export into the specified Site and Project.
Note that AnswerSets are converted to Tableau Hyper Extract (.hyper) files and then published into the specified Site and Project you define here.
Via SQL Query¶
The Tableau Hyper connector writes .hyper files using native libraries from the Tableau SDK. There are two supported deployment scenarios that allow you to use these native libraries:
- Use the native libraries that are bundled in the connector. This is the recommended approach.
- Install the Tableau SDK on the host system and remove the native libraries that are extracted from the connector zip.
If you need additional information or help installing the SDK for the Tableau Hyper Connector, please reach out to your Customer Success representative.
Why are there two Tableau Connectors and what’s the difference?¶
Tableau “.tde” is an older extract type and was implemented with version 1.0 of Tableau’s extract API. The Tableau “.hyper” Connector is newer and is based on version 2.0 of Tableau’s extract API. We built the “.hyper” Connector as a net-new Connector so both Connectors could coexist in an account enabling customers who have many versions of Tableau running to choose the best Connector for each instance of Tableau.