PowerBI Connector for Data Prep¶
User Persona: Data Prep User
This document covers all configuration fields available during connector setup. Some fields may have already been filled out by your Administrator at an earlier step of configuration and may not be visible to you. For more information on Data Prep's connector framework, see Data Prep Connector setup. Also, your Admin may have named this connector something else in the list of Data Sources.
- Open PowerBI Desktop
Click Get Data.
Click Other > Data Prep > Connect.
If you receive a warning about "Connecting to a third-party service", click Continue.
- Enter the Data Prep URL you log in at and click OK.
- This may be "https://yourdomain.Data Prep.com/domain/paxauth” if you’re on a Kubernetes-based deployment, or “https://yourdomain.Data Prep.com/” if you’re on a non-Kubernetes based deployment.
- Don’t forget to add “https://” at the beginning
Enter your Data Prep REST API Token and click Connect.
- If you do not have a REST API token, go to the User menu and click Tokens, where you can generate a token to manage access and authorization.
Save this token, as it cannot be retrieved, only deleted and regenerated, if lost.
It may take a minute or so for the authentication to process. Upon completion, you'll land on the screen where you can browse the Data Prep Data Library for Data Files and AnswerSets to import.
- For ad hoc reporting, using this Connector is the recommended path.
For automated reporting/updating published dashboards, there are several approaches worth considering as automating a process on a Desktop is not possible. Here’s one approach that we’ve seen be successful in several situations:
Automate your data preparation in Data Prep and export to a storage location that can be directly queried by a published PowerBI Dashboard, such as ADLS Gen2.
- Using a separate automation on the PowerBI side, import the Data Prep AnswerSet into PowerBI from the shared location.
If you have further questions, contact your Data Prep Customer Success Representative.